GrafTech International is a global company with over 125 years of graphite material science expertise, offering innovative solutions for the most challenging applications. We manufacture graphite electrodes, which are essential to the production of electric arc furnace steel, and needle coke, the key raw material in the production of graphite electrodes.
We also manufacture graphite products and provide service for customers in more than 70 countries that represent a wide range of industries and end markets, including steel manufacturing, latest-generation electronics, oil and gas exploration, transportation, and advanced energy. GrafTech operates 20 principal manufacturing facilities on four continents and employs 3,000 people.
For a complete history of GrafTech International, click here.
Segments and Products
Our Industrial Materials segment is focused on capitalizing on the growth in global steel demand.
This segment includes the following lines of business:
• Graphite Electrodes: Critical component in the production of electric arc furnace steel; used to conduct electricity to melt scrap steel
• Needle Coke: Key raw material in the production of graphite electrodes
• Refractories: Unique brick technology for a superior-performing, long-lasting hearth wall installed in modern integrated steel furnaces worldwide
Our Engineered Solutions segment leverages our graphite material science expertise to penetrate high-growth markets. This segment includes the following lines of business:
• Advanced Graphite Materials (AGM): Wide range of highly engineered synthetic graphite products used in a variety of end markets, including solar, oil and gas exploration, and transportation.
• Advanced Electronics Technology (AET): Thin, lightweight flexible graphite solutions that are used to dissipate heat in the most demanding thermal applications, including flat screen panel displays, smartphones and LED lighting; also has applications in the development and commercialization of fuel cell and other automotive products.
• Advanced Composite Materials (ACM): Advanced composites used in many applications, including ultra-light-weight thermal protection, high-strength heat shields and various other components. Markets include automotive, petrochemical and aerospace & defense. Fiber Materials Inc. (FMI), a subsidiary company acquired in 2011, is recognized as an industry leader producing high-temperature materials and advanced composite products for extremely demanding applications.
• Advanced Materials (AM): Primary synthetic graphite powders, natural flake graphite powders, coke powders, and various other carbon/graphite powder derivatives. Markets include industrial lubricants, hot metal forming lubricants, conductive polymer fillers and energy storage requirements.
• Electric arc furnaces
• Blast furnaces
• Handheld devices
• Mobile computing and entertainment
• Oil and gas
• Fuel cell
• Solid state lighting
• Heating and cooling
• Energy storage
• Building materials
In addition to its global headquarters and R&D center in Parma, Ohio, GrafTech has manufacturing sites, sales offices and team members located throughout the world.
• Parma, Ohio: Corporate headquarters and global technology center
• Biddeford, Maine (two locations): Advanced carbon composite materials manufacturing facility
• Presque Isle, Maine: Advanced carbon composite materials manufacturing facility
• Lakewood, Ohio: Flexible graphite manufacturing facility and sales office
• Sharon Center, Ohio: Flexible graphite manufacturing facility and sales office
• Emporium, Pennsylvania: Fine and super fine grain graphite manufacturing facility
• St. Marys, Pennsylvania: Graphite electrode manufacturing facility
• Columbia, Tennessee: Advanced graphite materials and refractory products manufacturing
• Lawrenceburg, Tennessee: Refractory products manufacturing facility
• Clarksburg, West Virginia: Advanced graphite materials manufacturing facility and sales office
• Port Lavaca, Texas: Needle coke manufacturing facility
• Monterrey, Mexico: Graphite electrode manufacturing facility and sales office
• Salvador, Brazil: Graphite electrode and advanced graphite materials manufacturing facility
• São Paulo, Brazil: Sales office
• Meyerton, South Africa: Graphite electrode and advanced graphite materials manufacturing facility and sales office
• Calais, France: Graphite electrode manufacturing facility
• Notre Dame, France: Advanced graphite materials machine shop and sales office
• Malonno, Italy: Advanced graphite materials manufacturing and machine shop and sales office
• Moscow, Russia: Sales office
• Vyazma, Russia: Graphite electrode materials machine shop
• Pamplona, Spain: Graphite electrode manufacturing facility and sales office
• Bussigny, Switzerland: Sales office
• Beijing, China: Sales office
• Shanghai, China: Sales office
• Hong Kong: Sales office
Leading market position:
• Graphite electrode industry’s low-cost producer
• Major player in graphite electrode markets
• Six graphite electrode manufacturing facilities strategically located on four continents, with customers in over 70 countries
• One of the largest global technical support teams in the industry
• Vertically integrated into the world’s second-largest producer of petroleum-based needle coke, a key raw material in the manufacture of graphite electrodes
• Global manufacturing network cannot be easily replicated
• Economies of scale
• Over 125 years of R&D experience and process know-how
• The only backward-integrated graphite electrode producer
Strong industry fundamentals:
• GrafTech’s Industrial Materials’ end markets include mini-mills, the growth sector of the steel industry
• Electrodes are consumed at a rate of one electrode every eight to 10 hours
• No commercially viable substitute for graphite electrodes
• GrafTech’s Engineered Solutions’ end-market applications include the solar, advanced electronics, oil and gas, and transportation industries
• Well-positioned to penetrate high-growth alternative energy and latest generation high-tech electronics markets
Commercializing advantaged technologies:
• Seven R&D 100 Awards for newly commercialized products in the past 10 years
• Expertise in fuel cell development and solar energy storage recognized with two U.S. Department of Energy grants in 2010
• GrafTech holds approximately 733 issued and pending patent applications
Corporate Social Responsibility
GrafTech believes in giving back to the communities where we operate. We focus our community involvement on youth education with the goal of encouraging careers in math, science and technology.
Our global sites and team members support local organizations through volunteering, and financial and in-kind donations. In South Africa, for example, GrafTech supports a program similar to Junior Achievement. Our U.S.-based team members support their local United Way with strong engagement from leadership.
At our Parma headquarters, we enjoy a strong partnership with East Tech High School in Cleveland. GrafTech engineers work annually with the students to build a robot for a national robotics competition. In addition, our involvement with the high school includes an active Junior Achievement program, sponsored field trips, science fairs, scholarships and internships.