Fire Retardant Solutions
GRAFGUARD® Expandable Graphite Flake
GRAFGUARD® expandable graphite flake is a fire retardant additive for materials that require improved fire protection characteristics, including wood, foam, plastics, and other construction and building materials. This product can also be used to improve the performance of fire retardant additives such as phosphates, halogens, and nitrogen compounds. Crystalline graphite flake is the starting material in the manufacture of expandable graphite.
During manufacturing, chemicals are trapped between the graphite layers. The expansion can be more than 100 times its original thickness, resulting in a non-burnable, insulating layer. GRAFGUARD® expandable graphite flake enables the building products industry to meet increasingly stringent fire safety codes for insulation panels for wood products and foam insulation panels, putties and coatings.
- Customized onset temperature
- Custom grade nomenclature
- Forms an effective insulating “char” layer that protects the substrate from heat and air
- Expands up to 8 times more than competitive products
- Exhibits superior performance at even low temperatures
- Highest expansion volume
- Contains no halogenated fire retardant additives
- Manufactured without the lead or chromium that can be found in other expanding graphite flakes
- Enables ideal application as an intumescent additive
- High volume manufacturing capability
- Reliable performance
- Consistent engineered activation temperatures to meet compounding/processing needs
- Performance does not degrade with time or environmental exposure
- Controlled surface pH makes GRAFGUARD compatible with any catalyst system, including Basic
- Meets FR performance targets at lower relative loading levels
- Reduces smoke evolution
- Non-toxic, non-halogenated FR additive
- World-leading expandable graphite application expertise
GRAFGUARD® expandable graphite flake products, materials, and processes are covered by one or more of the following US patents: 6,669,919. Other US and foreign patents granted or pending.